Forum

Louies Brats and Sous Vide Cooking  

RSS

Testdummy1
(@testdummy1)
09/02/2019 12:35 pm  

One of my favorite things the last couple of years is trying specialty bratwurst from anywhere I can get my grubby mits on them.  So far my favorite brat shop is Louies Finer Meats in Cumberland, WI.  

I have been buying brats and various other meat treats at this place for a few years.  A couple years ago I picked up an anova sous vide cooker from amazon.  If you haven't tried Sous vide cooking yet in my opinion you are really missing out.

So what does Sous Vide cooking bring to the proverbial bratwurst table?  It uses a circulating water bath to cook the meat to perfection, never burning or overcooking and leaving the meat done evenly throughout.  

As an example, Louies excellent Wisconsin Brats have cranberries inside of them as well as wild rice, maple syrup, cheddar cheese etc.  Delicious. 

When I cook these on the grill you can still see the cranberries inside and get hints of cheese.  The cranberries would look like raisins or craisins for all you local wisconsonites.

When cooked using Sous Vide and seared on the grill, the cranberries still are shaped like cranberries.  Cheese oozes out with each bite and the maple syrup flavor is a lot more apparent.  Twice as good and half the work.  

Another benefit of Sous Vide cooking bratwurst is you have about a 4 hour window to pull them out before they are overcooked.  When your sides are done or you're just plain ready to eat, pull them off and they will be perfectly done.

So, whats everyones favorite Wisconsin made bratwurst and have you ever tried sous vide cooking?

Share:

Please Login or Register